Sunday, October 14, 2007

From the other side of the table

Writing about psychotherapy is indeed a difficult task, especially when one is engaged in it and is still learning about it, from multiple perspectives and also having different experiences about the same phenomena. But, one thing is consistently present, it is one of the most intimate relations, where one (obviously the client) is oneself and is allowed and even expected to talk about self in the most open and transparent ways.
Therapists themselves are expected to undergo therapy as per many schools of thoughts. I too believe, it is important for a therapist to be aware of one's own subjective inner world. Recently I have started it and found my therapist a wonderful person (? transference), an opinion shared by my friends and his other clients or colleagues too.
Talking about long sidelined issues was like I am connecting to another soul after a long long time. It felt home! Especially, when i felt understood and so very validated about my being, my beliefs and strongly held convictions that i could see some tears on both side.
Sometimes, I too have held back my tears, about the life stories my own clients have brought to the therapy room.

And then the intellectual academic part of me was wondering, how often different schools of thoughts co-exist and carry on with in the same therapy. The presence of two people with their complete commitment in the therapy room, is in itself so very existential. No matter if it is an existential therapy or not. The change always happens in here and now, the 'Kairos' moment comes in the 'now'. But also thoughts and influences from other therapy schools can also be picked up from the same therapy.....like looking for dynamics of childhood experiences, disrupted attachment patterns, corrective emotional experience etc. It seems therefore researchers haven't found much difference in the effectiveness of different kinds of therapy and much of the therapy gains are clubbed in the account of Unspecified therapy factors.

I am reminded of a quote which seems to sum up the process and final moments in therapy or its goals...
"God grant me serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can and wisdom to know the difference"
Its all about acceptance and change...and that wisdom gained in the process of therapy!

My last session ended with lot of laughter and a whole lot of optimism. One comment of my therapist continued back with me - " I have been to most parts of the world, but I have never seen a perfect weather".
God! did I ask for wisdom???

2 comments:

  1. i came here randomly.. i am starting to like the posts. wud read the rest slowly.. great going

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is shail...

    Therapists do need therapy:)

    ReplyDelete