Monday, August 25, 2008

Some Poems of Dorothy Parker (love the sarcasm:)

She said...
some men's' love last a life time,
and i haven't met any.
some men's' love last only their erection,
and i have met many...
---
Shocked me... pained me and then i thought of dear old Dorothy Parker and her poems. so many women have similar sentiments but only some chisel their thoughts into poetry or chunk them into sentences and put in the sun to dry... some sarcasm tastes delicious. Here are some from this lady's poetries...
...this first one has remained in my memory for years and i like it best..read this and then go further:)

By the time you swear you're his,
Shivering and sighing,
And he vows his passion is
Infinite, undying -
Lady, make a note of this:
One of you is lying.


--------------

Some men break your heart in two,
Some men fawn and flatter,
Some men never look at you;
And that cleans up the matter.


------------

...It were a sweet and gallant pain
To be a sea apart;
But, oh, to have you down the lane
Is bitter to my heart.


---------------

I saw my dear, the other day,
Beside a flowering wall;
And this was all I had to say:
"I thought that he was tall!"


---------------

My heart went fluttering with fear
Lest you should go, and leave me here
...Ah, clear they see and true they say
That one shall weep, and one shall stray
For such is Love's unvarying law....

I never thought, I never saw
That I should be the first to go;
How pleasant that it happened so!


-------------

To you, who never begged me vows or verse,
My gift shall be my absence, while I live;
But after that, my dear, I cannot swear.


-------------

...I think, no matter where you be,
You'll hold me in your memory
And keep my image, there without me,
By telling later loves about me.


-------------

Star, that gives a gracious dole,
What am I to choose?
Oh, will it be a shriven soul,
...
Shall I wish a wedding-ring,
Bright and thin and round,
...
Or beg I hate forevermore
A pair of lying lips?
...
My only wish I dare not say-
Lest you should grant me him.


--------------

In youth, it was a way I had
To do my best to please,
And change, with every passing lad,
To suit his theories.

But now I know the things I know,
And do the things I do;
And if you do not like me so,
To hell, my love, with you!

2 comments:

  1. Jyotsna,

    You bring tears to my eyes...I wish I could see you to hug you in real..!
    God bless real good, my dear!
    Love,
    Di.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Didi, My stretched arms wait for you:)
    Will wait for u to come down for that hug. It will remain due.

    lots of love

    So many things are said in these lines and u r latest post:)

    ReplyDelete