Sunday, July 19, 2009

Death & Dying...

I was doing a study related to death and kids......when I found some quotes which i really liked. While this topic seems morbid to many... for some others it has a deeper meaning....to each one their own preferred comfort level ...as per their individual growth journeys...
well moving on to my quotes! some of them are touching, insightful, poignant or even downright funny...
one i remember ..(but forgot the author..sorry).. 'million crave for immortality, those who do not know what to do on a rainy sunday afternoon!
Rest is here.....

"Let children walk with Nature, let them see the beautiful blending and communions of death and life, their joyous inseparable unity, as taught in woods and meadows, plains and mountains and streams of our blessed star, and they will learn that death is sting-less indeed, and as beautiful as life."

"Death is more universal than life; everyone dies but not everyone lives". -A. Sach

"Men fear death as children fear to go in the dark; and as that natural fear in children is increased with tales, so is the other".- Francis Bacon

"Even very young children need to be informed about dying. Explain the concept of death very carefully to your child. This will make threatening him with it much more effective." - P. J. O'Rourke

Don't strew me with roses after I'm dead.
When Death claims the light of my brow
No flowers of life will cheer me:instead
You may give me my roses now! --Thomas F. Healey

A new idea is delicate. It can be killed by a sneer or a yawn; it can be stabbed to death by a joke or worried to death by a frown on the right person's brow. - Charles Brower

Death is a graduation. When we’re taught all the things we came to teach, learned all the things we came to learn, then we’re allowed to graduate.~ Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

I have lost friends, some by death--others by sheer inability to cross the street. ~ Virginia Woolf

A civilization that denies death ends by denying life. ~ Octavio Paz

Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live.~ Norman Cousins

When I die I'm going to dance first in all the galaxies... I'm gonna play and dance and sing. ~ Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

For three days after death, hair and fingernails continue to grow but phone calls taper off.~ Johnny Carson

Death is not extinguishing the light; it is putting out the lamp because dawn has come. - Rabindranath Tagore

And my all time favourite is ........

Every time a child says "I don't believe in fairies," there is a little fairy somewhere that falls down dead.- - James Matthew Barrie

4 comments:

  1. I've been thinking of death and dying a lot this year after my best friend and my dad both died suddenly within a week of each otehr and long before their due time.

    Some of these quotes make a lot of sense to me now.

    Thanks.

    BTW, thanks also for your visit and your comment on my post.


    Ranee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thought-provoking quotes. I am keen on knowing more about your study and its findings.
    The quote about 'miilions crave for immortality...' - I think it is by Susan Ertz.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every soul shall have taste of death: Quran

    Good Compilation.

    ReplyDelete