Friday, September 24, 2010

Doing my thing vs. I and Thou

For a long time these poems were painted and pasted on my wall.
Earlier I used to believe in the first poem more and now i believe in the 2nd poem more. I think it also depends upon what stage one is going through in life. (All my friends too had their preferences).
(I think i picked up both from the famous and amazing book 'the road less travelled' Scott Peck http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M._Scott_Peck
One should check this one out...


Gestalt Prayer - Fritz Perls

I do my things and you do your things
I am not in this world to
live up to your expectations,
and you are not in this world to
live up to mine.
You are you
and I am I
and if by chance we find each other,
it's beautiful.
If not
It can't be helped.

(These lines expresses very forcibly the human need for independence and self expression. I must have my own thoughts and feelings and I must assert my right to express them freely. I must make my own choices and be able to live by them...
... but psychologist Walter Tubbs supplement that true human fulfillment is found only in relationships of love; the truth begins with two.)

Beyond Perl -Walter Tubbs
If I just do my things and you do yours
We stand in danger of losing each other
and ourselves.

I am not in this world to live up to your expectations;
But I'm in this world to confirm you;
as a unique human being.
And to be confirmed by you.

We are fully ourselves only in relation to each other
The I detached from a Thou
disintegrates.

I do not find you by chance
I find you by an active life
of reaching out.
Rather than passively letting things happen to me.
I can act intentionally to make them
happen.

I must begin with myself, true;
But i must not end with myself;
The truth begins with two.

5 comments:

  1. Dear J:

    I loved these poems. All of us go through different stages in life and get better and better (hopefully).

    Hope you are well and that your thesis is coming along.

    Joy always,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Susan,
    sorry i am just getting out of a tight moment so could not respond to ur comment earlier.
    I finished the thesis, some how, got out of campus and had t oruch in a week for postdoc. Am almost settled here now.

    How are you? hope ur thesis is complete?
    cheers & Happy new year...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks .Your words make my mind more clear. I am learning astrology, and I agreed with you said "depends upon what stage one is going through in life".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! Your words make me more clear. I am learning astrology, and I agree with what you said "depends upon what stage one is going through in life"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kei,
    Interesting how you brought astrology and these poems together :)
    Wishing you good luck in your study !
    Jyo

    ReplyDelete